9 Important Diet Tips
The T.V. ads promise miraculous results as long as you use their products, and if you read the fine print on just about every commercial, box, bottle or magazine ad it will say ‘with proper diet and exercise’ well if that’s the case what do you need their product for? It doesn’t have to be this difficult to lose weight, you don’t have to try a million different products or spend a ton of money. Unless you are Extremely overweight, some of the simplest diet tips will help you lose the weight you are wanting to lose.
Before you start any diet and exercise program make sure you talk to your doctor. She will let you know what, if any, modifications you should make based on your current health situation.
Here are some easy to follow tips that you can start using right now!
1. Losing weight is a combination of eating a well balanced diet and getting your body moving. Don’t waste time looking for ineffective “quick fixes” just approach your weight loss from a place of reasonable expectations and you won’t be disappointed.
2. Understand that getting in better shape is a process and it will take time. If you have a big event coming up and you want to lose weight before the big day, don’t wait until the last minute, start now.
3. Losing weight and getting in shape is more about a lifestyle change (which is permanent) rather than a “diet” (which many people think of as temporary).
4. Eat a well balanced diet rich in lean proteins and very light on carbohydrates and fats (my personal opinion is that any eating plan that totally restricts fats or carbs is unrealistic and will be difficult to stay with forever. Remember, this is about lifestyle change so if the changes you make aren’t permanent your weight loss won’t be permanent. Instead focus on balance in your diet and you will have more success).
5. One point I have to make about what I said in step 4 is that if you are looking for some quick results just to jump start your weight loss efforts it is ok to use a restrictive diet. If you are planning on going carb free for just the first two weeks, and then add carbs back into your diet in moderation, just to give you a jump start, than by all means, do that.
6. It’s very easy to get focused on the outside of the body and forget that everything you see on the outside actually starts on the inside. Make sure your body gets all the nutrients it needs. Add a multi vitamin to make sure.
7. Don’t forget about the benefits of getting enough sleep, quitting bad habits like smoking, and drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Most professionals recommend getting half your body weight in ounces of water everyday.
So, if you weight 125 lbs, you would divide that (or whatever your weight is) by 2 to get half. That is the number of ounces of water you should drink everyday. So in this example you would need to drink about 62 ounces of water everyday.
8. Find an exercise plan that you enjoy so you will stick with it. Not everyone wants to go to a gym, hop on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then lift weights. While this is a great workout plan, it may not be for you, so you need to find one that is.
Remember, exercise can be pretty much anything that gets your body moving. So, if you like to dance, then dance. If you enjoy the water; start swimming. If you love taking your dog for a walk, add a few more walks in everyday. Just find what you like to do, do it, and you will see results.
9. Even if you don’t want to join a gym, you should incorporate some weight training into your exercise routine. You can buy a few dumbbells and do some workouts at home but don’t neglect your muscle tone when you are working on improving your body.
Enjoy these diet tips and put them to work for you right away.